Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Little Break


Last night Kel and Dave came off trail....after reports from other hikers of bad thunderstorms coming, they decided to come home for a night or two! We families were very excited! But I can see that Kel is missing the trail and anxious to get back on. We have been updated and will be getting pictures on the site soon. What a wonderful time they are having and they have met many wonderful people already along the trail.

STICKMANS' JOURNAL...6/8/07...Friday...Well, we got up at 5:00 AM, and were hiking at 6:00 AM, so we had a pretty good start today. We pushed over Spaulding Mtn., and then past the Caribou Rd. At that point, we were pretty well committed to finishing the day at Rt. 27. When we crossed the south branch of the Carrabassett River, I found an old stone tool that had been used for cutting and scraping. It was surely shaped by hand, and was the only rock I could see that wasn’t smooth and round. Now, most people that hike over 10 miles with a big ‘ol rock in their pocket could be called a little strange. I have, at times, been called strange without a rock in my pocket, so I figured it wouldn’t make me a whole lot stranger...the rock now sits on my table at home...So, onward and upward, and onward and downward at least a couple of more times, and we cleared both Crocker Mtns., North and South, (and not in that order). That only left us with an “easy” downhill to reach Rt. 27, and a couple of days off. But, not wanting the day to seem uneventful, I added a little drama to it, by hyperextending my injured knee...not once, but eleven more times, making it a clean dozen. Quite satisfied that this day would forever be ingrained in my memory, we then emerged onto Rt. 27 at 3:45 PM. I had previously told my daughter, Elizabeth, that we would probably reach the road between 6 and 7 PM, so we were quite early. We passed some time talking to a nice fella who was getting ready to head into the woods to do a bit of cutting. When he was gone, we decided to hitch a ride into Sugarloaf or Kingfield, to get a bite to eat, and something to drink. To our surprise, a truck that I recognized as being from my hometown of Madison went by. I waved, and saw the brake lights flash as it went by, rounding a turn, and disappearing from sight. A couple of minutes later, it reappeared. It was none other than Jim Elias, of Elias Monuments, in Madison. Jim is a life-long acquaintance, and, when I was a bit younger, a neighbor, on Locust Street. Jim is a great guy, and has worked hard to build a successful business. Now, I’ve always liked Jim, and wish him well in his work, but I do pray that he won’t be having to put my name in stone for some time to come...So...He came back and got us! He brought us to a grocery and bought us beverages to get us hydrated. Then he brought us right to my home! Thanks, Jim, your kindness will not be forgotten. May God Bless you!...By the way, at that little grocery store was another old friend. Well, not that old, she’s my age. But, we were also childhood friends, neighbors (Locust Street), and classmates. Susan, it was so nice to see you again. Sorry I didn’t realize it was you right off, I hadn’t seen you for a bit, and you took me by surprise! Sure hope to see you sometime again!...many great memories...So, now I am home, and will get a bit of rest. God Bless you, everyone!

Stickman

STICKMANS' JOURNAL...6/9/07...Saturday...Ahhh...What can I say today?...That I feel so rested, and at peace with my life? That I am happy to see my wife and family? And friends? YES! But, let me first say that I feel like I spent the whole last week at KAMP KIKMIBUT! Yeah...It wore me out, but it toughened me up too! Thanks to all of you for your support, in every aspect of this hike. I feel that this trail ministry will have a positive impact as far as reaching folks for Christ. The opportunities certainly abound. Now, I don’t want folks to feel like I’m beating them with a Bible, but I would like them to gain some knowledge and give some careful consideration regarding establishing a relationship with Christ. The only person who can make a good decision is one who has good information. Hopefully, folks will turn to the Bible to get informed. Then, it’s up to them and God. There are a lot of people out on the trail who are seeking. Let’s keep these folks in prayer, that what they find will be Truth....OK, time to break for a commercial...I wouldn’t normally do this, but...I REALLY like Ice Cream! There just happens to be a little place in Madison, out on Rt. 148, called the Kennebec Ice Kreamery, owned and operated by Chris Roy. He makes his own ice cream, and it is good! I repeat, it is GOOD! When I was trying to lose weight in preparation for this hike, I actually allowed myself to have his ice cream twice a week. (Hard to believe, but I still lost weight!). I even tried all his flavors, including flavors I wouldn’t normally order, and found them all to my liking. I think it is the best ice cream around, and not only that, Chris is a real nice guy! So, help a good guy out...go see Chris at the Kennebec Ice Kreamery...Enjoy!...Now, I gotta go get an ice cream...talked myself right into it!...I will get to attend Church tomorrow, so happy about that, and happy also that I will get to see everyone!...And, as always, “just one more thing”...I got to go to a BBQ today, that was fantastic! Not just because of the pork and turkey and fixin’s, though. It was because it was for a benefit for the “RELAY FOR LIFE”, for the American Cancer Society. I, as many of you have, have been touched by cancer. I have lost members of my family to it, and don’t want to see anyone else have to suffer with it. So, please be supportive of your local “RELAY FOR LIFE”, and the American Cancer Society. Maybe you can even start your own relay team, as my family has done...GO “JEAN’S GEM’S”!!!...Time to sign off...God Bless!

Stickman

No comments: