Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wandering and wondering...Who is hiking where, in Maine?

Hi everyone!

Sorry I have been a little slow in getting a new entry posted. It isn't that I didn't have anything to talk about,(...you probably KNOW that I like to talk!).

It's just that I've been so BUSY! (...you probably ALSO KNOW that I am a GREAT PROCRASTINATOR!)

With that out of the way, let's see what "trails" I've been down lately. Let's see, there is gardening, which I don't mind, since we are strongly into the harvesting side of the season. Mowing... not as often! The grass has slowed it's growth greatly, and I will enjoy not having to mow as much, at least up until snow flies! Family is always keeping us on our toes, especially the grand-children. We had a special time two weeks ago, as Cari's brother Tim, and his wonderful wife, Robin... wait a minute... Tim might read this... OK, YOU'RE wonderful TOO, Tim! (They are BOTH wonderful!)...let's continue... They made the trip up from Tennessee to attend Tim's Class Reunion, and then spent some time with us, too. We had a great time, and enjoyed some time up around The Forks, and Moxie, trying to give Robin her first Maine Moose sighting experience. We never got to see one, but Robin DID see someone in a MOOSE COSTUME at the I95 toll booth, as they were leaving Maine! We did take a little side trip up to Pleasant Pond Lean-to, to see if there were any hikers around. Not seeing any, I tied off two bags of Marshmallows to the mouse-deterring food hangers, just in case some hikers stopped by. We then scooted up the blue-blazed lean-to access trail to where it joined the white-blazed Appalachian Trail. We walked a little ways on the A.T., always an exciting feeling, no matter how far you venture. On our return to the Lean-to, we found a hiker, "Space Cowboy", and we got to chat for just a bit. That was a couple of Sundays ago, (the 6th?). We all had a wonderful time.

This past week (Sunday), I took a trip up to Stratton. I have been wanting to meet Bark and Berry, this years' Trail Chaplains for the ATServants Ministry. I had been following their Journal, and they had made it into Rangely. My figuring was that they MAY be in Stratton on Sunday. Well, I never did see them, but I got to see a bunch of other hikers, and play "Trail Angel" for a few hours. They told me that Bark and Berry would be another day or two before reaching Stratton, and I managed to get their phone # from one of the hikers. I was able to leave a message, (and the next day recieved a return call from Bark), and have not given up hope of meeting them, perhaps at Little Bigelow, or Pleasant Pond Lean-to.

I made the most of my afternoon at Stratton, being honored to pick up the tab for a hungry hiker's meal, and shuttling several of them from the trailhead to town. I met "Duckman", "Star Trek", "Pellet", "BoShag", "In Deep", "Son", "The Hiking Poles", and others. I met "Son" on a fluke. I was heading out of town, intending to return to Madison, and quickly decided to hike a bit instead. I swung back into the trailhead, grabbed a ScriptureStick, and hurried up the trail. After about an hour of fast hiking uphill, I stopped for a quick rest. I was wheezing like an old steam engine, as I have been battling a tough cold for about a month, and it has taken up (permanent?) residence in my lungs. I got back up after a couple of minutes, and started to move uptrail. I realized that there was a hiker coming my way, and that he was blazing fast! I was able to stop him, although he did so a little reluctantly. He had a good head of steam, and was making the miles. He was "Son", counterpart to "Father", of the Father and Son hikers. I asked where his father was, and found that it was impossible for Father to catch Son before Katahdin. He was waaaay back, and not quite as fast. Son did say though, that he thought his father was in the best shape of his life, at age 47! Son and I talked for a few minutes, and he told me that he had done the "four state challenge", where hikers cover over 40 miles in a single day, to stepping foot in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania! Amazing! He said he intends to pull off a 50 mile stretch in 24 hours before he finishes at Katahdin, figuring the last 50 miles of the 100 mile wilderness is the place he can do it. I know I couldn't do it!

I turned around, to follow him back to the trailhead. He said that I could lead, or he would try to slow down for me. I told him to go, and I would see him at the parking area, and that I had cold soda in the truck. I tried to keep up... after all, he was WALKING... OK, he was walking VERY FAST! I picked up my pace, and he was pulling away. I began to JOG! He was pulling away! ...and he was STILL WALKING!!! I have never seen anyone move so fluidly, especially hiking downhill on sometimes steep and rugged terrain. He was gone... but a little while later I caught up with him, as he was doing a "damage check", after taking a bit of a tumble. No real harm done, he was up, and we were away. He did slow down considerably, allowing me to stay with him, even conversing a bit. When we got to the trailhead, I found that my hour-long uphill hike had taken only a half-hour on the return trip. It is not easy terrain, even hiking downhill, so we were still moving right along. He was impressed that I hiked as fast as I did! He shared with me that he is likely one of the three fastest hikers on the trail right now, and I am honored that he took time to let me hike with him for a bit.

One more trip into Stratton, with "Son". He Grabbed a quick slice of pizza, then I whisked him back to the trail. I looked up trail... reluctantly, I forced the truck onto the road, pointed towards home...

Well, I'd like to keep typing, but... word is "possible frost" through this evening, and I'd better cover some of the veggies. Thank you all for checking in, and may God Bless you all!

Stickman

No comments: