Friday, February 12, 2010

Lose weight by Hiking!

Hi, All!

Yes, it's true! You can lose weight by hiking! I know, because I've done just that. When I attempted to hike the Appalachian Trail, in 2007, (ScriptureSticks Ministry Hike), I actually lost weight... 'course, I have put most of it back on, since then. (I'm at 225 pounds)...


Yeah... When I began that hike, I had ballooned to a whopping, pudgy, 240 pounds! Amazingly, after a mere 800 miles of hiking, I had dropped my weight to a fairly lean 180/185 pound, hanging on my 6'0" frame. I was able to lose weight, even having had a 3 week "sitting stretch", while healing up from a leg infection.

According to one site that I checked, a hiker walking cross-country will burn up 290 calories per hour, for every 100 pounds of the hikers' weight. For me, that worked out to 696 calories per hour, when I began hiking! In 8 hours of hiking, that works out to 5,568 calories per day. In 800 miles, I lost 60 pounds. That figures out to a loss of 0.075 pounds lost for every mile hiked! Did I eat a lot? You bet! ...and I still lost weight! Trouble is, I am still eating like I'm hiking, and I'm just not putting any miles in.

There is, of course, "a lot more to it". Weight loss isn't just a matter of hiking, or any other activity. It is about building muscles, which consume more energy. It is about respirations and perspirations. It is about the foods you choose to eat, their quality and quantity. Carrots, I hear, are good for you! Especially, if you have to pursue them!




As for me, I think that the right food will not only benefit a hiker while on the trail, but will put him in the mood to GET out on the trail. As I blog, I am treating myself to a hearty feast of Ramen Noodles! I'm feeling inspired to take a hike! ... Time to say goodnight to you all, wishing you happy trails...

God Bless!

Stickman

No comments: