Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Caratunk,Pleasant Pond Lean-to


Kel and Dave are in Caratunk tonight at the Pleasant Pond Lean-to. They arrived in town at about 11am from Pierce Pond...after a wonderful 12 pancake breakfast (each!) complete with sausage links and a side of the most wonderful fluffy scrambled egs! Yum Yum! The gentleman from the Harrison camps at Pierce Pond cooked and served and they had a great time....and then they were on their way. Kel made aquick call to Cari from the rangers station in Caratunk, she called Larry, and a plan was born to visit the hikers around a warm campfire that night! Dave's mom, Lillian drove to Madison to meet Cari and close friend Lisa... and, after picking up fruit, italian sandwiches, chinese food, and supplies, they were off! What a beautiful ride up through North Anson, Solon, Bingham, and Moscow. As the roads narrowed and the trees got denser, it gave you a small sence of what the trail was like. Larry had gone ahead to meet the hikers, and had fed them before the gals arrived. More food, hugs, and conversation...what a great time. Two other hikers shared the lean-to (we shared the food!), and time went too quickly. Kel and Dave look great and are going well. They have met many hikers and others along the way and continue to share their faith. So far 17 sticks have been given out, many cards, and 25 sticks to the Cannan youth group to give at a hike they will organize soon. We are so thankful for God's provision everyday!

STICKMANS' JOURNAL...6/12/07...Tuesday...Wow! What a day! Went all the way from Little Bigelow Lean-to, to Pierce Pond Lean-to. Started hiking at 8:00 AM, got to camp at 6:10 PM. We did our biggest miles yet, 17.3 miles. It was good walking, although the blister on my right heel is a bit of a problem. My knee, however, is holding up quite well. We had quite a surprise when we hiked from Long Falls Dam Rd., up Roundtop Mtn. We met a young fella with the Maine Conservation Corp. He said that they, and a group from Americorps, were in doing some trail work. Awesome! Well, as we walked up the hill, we kept coming across young ladies that were quite busy, wielding pick-axes, shovels, pry bars, and the like. Come to find out, it was a group of about 30, comprised of 3 guys and the rest young women. Tell you what, they were all working extremely hard. All the way up the trail, they had constructed waterbars, placed step-stones, done ditching, and had completed other work. As we met them, we shared with them all why we were on trail, and we were warmly received. We handed out many ScriptureStick cards, and several said that they would check out the site. Before we moved on, we thanked them all for their hard work. When you get out to hike, and see all the trail work out there, remember that a lot of it is done by these young folks. If you see trail workers, stop and thank them!...Upon our arrival at Pierce Pond, I dropped my pack, and went looking for Harrison’s Pierce Pond Camps. I found it, and the owner, Tim Harrison, and set it up for Faithful and I to have breakfast at his place. Then, Tim and I sat and talked for a bit. I shared with him the details of our missions trip, and he shared that he was also a Christian. We also found that we knew a lot of the same people, including my former employer, Val Roy, at Campbell’s Building Supply, and my cousin Chet Hibbard, who owns the pharmacy up in Bingham, Maine. Such a small world...there were others, also, but the bugs are eating me alive, as I write this down, so it looks like it’s “lights out”! Good night, God Bless!

Stickman

STICKMANS' JOURNAL...6/13/07...Wednesday...Up at 5:30 AM, pack up, and head to breakfast. I had set it up with Tim Harrison to be at his place, Harrison’s Pierce Pond Camps, by 7:00 AM. We got there at 6:50 AM. Tim treated us much better than we should deserve! We each had a 12 pancake (BIG pancakes!) breakfast complete with sausages, scrambled eggs, coffee, and juice! The eggs were some of the best I’ve ever had, but the PANCAKES! Wowza!!! They were light, fluffy, and full of berries. Top that off with some syrup, and yummy! I think that the best part of the meal may have been having the opportunity to share it, along with some great conversation, with someone that you immediately like upon your first meeting. Seemed like we had been friends for years...I told him that I would get a ScriptureStick up to him, and he said that if I could get it to cousin Chet, Chet would get it up to him. We sat and chatted about many things, and at 9:00 AM said our goodbys. He asked us to contact him later, and let him know how our trip went...can do, Tim. Tim talked with Steve Longley, the Kennebec River Ferryman, via radiophone, and let him know that we were on our way. The ferry service ends at 11:00 AM, and we had 3 miles to hike. We got to the river at about 10:40 AM, and saw the canoe on the opposite shore. It wasn’t Steve in the canoe, but David Corrigan, who promptly came across to get us. I had a great conversation with him, and gave him my last card that I had with me. Dave is a Master Guide, and he helps out in the ferrying. Dave’s outfit is “Fletcher Mountain Outfitters”, out of Concord Township, Maine. As he ferried us across, I noticed a young lady on the other bank, who was taking pictures of us. She was doing a photoshoot for promotion of different activities available in the area. She works for a local river guiding/rafting outfit. Forgive me, I don’t remember her name...Stephanie seems to be it, but not sure... Sorry! She asked us who we were, if we were doing a thru-hike, etc., and I told her that we were doing it as a mission trip, and about the ScriptureSticks. Who knows, we may end up in a promo! The next wonderful thing to happen was that we were lucky enough to find Forest Ranger (Extraordinaire) Darrell Rich, onsite at the Caratunk Ranger’s Station. We got to chat for a bit, and he was able to let me use the phone to call Cari, as I had no reception. Thanks, Darrell, wonderful to have you be part of our “trail experience”! Looks like we may have some company tonight. Cari, my sister Jody, and my brother Larry? Hope so!! We got to the shelter at 3:50 PM, it is now 5:05 PM. I will probably walk back out to the road and wait to see if anyone shows up. Two young fellas (anyone younger than me...) showed up to stay the night at the shelter. They are Tengu and King Crimson. Tengu is doing a thruhike, SOBO, and King Crimson is doing a section of the trail with him. I took a walk out to the road, sat down, and brother Larry drove up. I showed him a better way to drive in towards the shelter, allowing for a shorter hike to the shelter itself. Then, I gave Cari a call. She and Lillian are on their way here also. I headed back to the shelter to spend some time with everyone, and gather some more firewood. Real nice fire going tonight, helping to keep the bugs down. I eventually walked back out to the road, and as I got to it, I heard a vehicle coming. I looked up to see that it was our friend Lisa Mann, and she had Cari and Lillian with her. What a great surprise! They brought in all kinds of goodies, Chinese food, Italian sandwiches, and extra supplies. We all shared with the other two thruhikers, who had already eaten. But, as is typical, (and polite), they found a little more room in their bellies for food. We all had a great time! Lillian had brought her ScriptureStick walking stick along, and showed it to our fellow hikers. That was really nice, as it puts something tangible in front of them to look over, rather than just trying to explain it. Thanks Lillian!...Well, the girls eventually went home, as it was getting late, but Larry was prepared to spend the night, and set up his tent. We all had a great time, the other hikers zonking out, as they wanted to get off to an early start in the morning. With full stomachs, we eventually all settled in, the remains of the fire warding off the bugs. Looks like another great night! God Bless!

Stickman

1 comment:

.... said...

Uncle Kel!!! I am SOOOOOOOO Proud and excited for you!! I had completely forgotten that you were planning on doing this (forgive me!) It was wonderful to hear from Uncle Larry who game me this site address, it was even more wonderful to read all of these wonderful adventure-filled posts!! I am soo anxious to read more!

LOVE YOU!
-Mean It!-
keep save, and have fun!
-Rianie!