Thursday, August 23, 2007

On The Trail Again!!!

Kel is on his way to Vermont with his brother Larry...he is very happy to be on trail again. I will update more later...he should actually be on trail by 2pm today.

STICKMANS' JOURNAL...8/23/07...Thursday... My brother Larry picked me up this morning, and drove me the 6 hours back to Bennington, Vermont. We got there, stopped into the Blue Benn Diner, ate a delicious meal...


















...then headed out to the trailhead.




I got a bit of a late start for hiking, it being a little after 4:00 PM, but managed to arrive at the Seth Warner Lean-to by 10:00 PM.




I hiked 11.5 miles, with a good part of that stretch hiked after sunset, with my headlamp glowing. There is something special about an occasional night-hike. Although so much of your surroundings is unseen, there is a certain beauty in the darkness, and your senses are heightened.

When I reached the end of my trail today, I arrived at the shelter to find a nice fire burning, and plenty of room for me. I gave out cards to everyone, all NOBOs. I know that I missed the majority of NOBOs when I was off trail, and I am probably the last, or close to last, SOBO... so pray that I will continue to see others while I am out here! Maybe I can catch up to a few of the other SOBOs!

It was a bit of a tough day for the first day back on trail, but the leg seems to be holding up well. I am also amazed at how out of shape I have gotten in just three weeks of not hiking! I've put on weight, and my muscles have lost tone... but if you keep praying, I'll keep hiking! God Bless!

Stickman

No comments: