Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Hiking Hugger!

Hey everyone! Boy, hardly a day goes by, that I don't get some kind of a Blessing... a "Hug from God", if you like. (I don't always get time to sit down and tell you all about it). Well... this past week, while returning to Madison from a lumber delivery in Fryeburg, I stopped for a quick break in Bethel. As I headed toward the entrance of the convenience store, I noticed some familier "trail sign"... a couple of well-worn backpacks, and two sets of trekking poles! I instantly slowed my pace, realizing that there MUST be two (or more) thru-hikers in close proximity... they never stray far from their packs. I glanced around the area... THERE THEY WERE! They appeared to be friendly, so I approached them. I made small talk, and one responded that he was "GRIZZ"... Thank God he was friendly! The other hiker was known on the trail as "TREAT". Real friendly. I caught them during a rest break/feeding time, but they were more than happy to chat. They were having a wonderful hike, looking forward to more of the better weather to hike in. They had their sights set on getting to the hostel in Andover, for a bit more rest and food.

My spirits were lifted during the brief encounter. I wished them well on the remainder of the journey, and gave them contact information, should I be able to assist them in any way up the trail. They also were an encouragement to me, that I might find a way to get back on the trail, (someday, soon).

I always find hikers to be fascinating, each in their own unique way. Almost anyone, given opportunity, will share with you something that they have done, are doing, or are planning to do. This encounter was no exception. TREAT shared with me that he is also known as "THE HIKING HUGGER". Yes... THE HIKING HUGGER! Now, I can't say that I was a recipient of any hugs, but on investigation, I found that he has hugged... (wait...please go to the following to find out!)

http://www.thehikinghugger.com/

...As you can see, he isn't afraid of hugging! As you can also see, he is "hiking for a cause", as many of us do. What do you MEAN, you didn't check out the site! OK, while you do that, I'll close, while asking God's Blessings on all of you! Take care, ponder the paths of your feet, and let all your ways be established. GOD BLESS!

Stickman

No comments: